Sie können diesen Artikel auch auf Deutsch (German) lesen.
Are you looking for alternatives to TryInteract? TryInteract (often known as Try Interact / Interact Quiz Maker / Interact Quiz Builder) has been one of the mainstays of the online quiz maker industry.
But we’ve seen a recent surge in marketers and companies looking for competitors – with a wider range of quiz formats and a strong focus on data privacy (such as GDPR-compliance).
TryInteract has been around since 2013 – and they’ve made a good name for themselves as an online quiz creator, especially around their data connection options that help build an email list.
At QMR, we’ve been reviewing quiz builders for a long time – we take pride in being an independent source of information about the various vendors.
(You can read our in-depth TryInteract quiz review here.)
Skip to our recommended list of alternatives to TryInteract
Pressed for time?
You can click here to jump ahead to view our top 3 list of TryInteract alternatives – each with a quick highlight of what sets these quiz builders apart, from styling options to quiz creation.
Why are people looking for alternatives to TryInteract?
First the positives… TryInteract is a very capable online quiz maker, especially for smaller companies who are happy with their limited interactive content formats for quiz creation.
Currently, TryInteract only offers basic quiz, poll, giveaway, and personality test formats.
In comparison with other quiz creators like Riddle or Outgrow, TryInteract has kept their creative range of features and types of content fairly limited – but have focused the lion’s share of their resources on building data integrations.
And they do a great job – with 19 native integrations including:
- Constant Contact
Key reasons for seeking alternatives to TryInteract
Now the negatives – we’ve been a growing number of comments in forums and social media from folks who are looking for alternatives to TryInteract.
Their concerns tend to focus on these areas:
- Data privacy – by adding trackers, storing data (such a user’s email address) in the US, and a number of other reasons, TryInteract does not comply with the latest global data privacy regulations like the EU’s GDPR and California’s CCPA. That’s a big deal-breaker for modern marketers – because your company is liable if you use a non-compliant quiz maker to collect data.
- English only tools – this just surprised us. Their tools are only available in English – which vastly limits their usefulness for international marketers.
- Limited range of quiz formats – when it comes to types of quizzes, TryInteract offers only the basics with quizzes, polls, and a couple of other options. But compared to Riddle, Outgrow, and other providers, you’re pretty limited in your creative options.
We’ve touched on this already, but TryInteract supports only a basic number of quiz formats. And many of them seem half-baked – they lack key features quiz marketers need and expect.
Let’s dive in.
The Tryinteract quiz is the best of their types of interactive content, but also the most confusing.
They have chosen to craft three different ‘flavors’ of quiz – and then pack them all in one format.
These are all subtle variants on a theme – and once you figure out which quiz mode you need, TryInteract gives you reasonable flexibility as a quiz creator.
However, TryInteract is missing some key features that are present in almost every other online quiz maker.
For example, in their ‘assessment’ quiz mode:
- You don’t have the ability to assign scores for correct answers to each result.
- TryInteract evenly distributes scores among the possible results (e.g. 0-3 = result 1, 4-6 = result 2, 7-9). You can’t change that to 0-5 = result 1, 6-7 = result 2, etc.
- This is a very frequent occurrence – we’ve seen that with promotions or contests (only people who get 100% right get a result that has a link to enter to win), as well as safety and training quizzes.
There are loads more usability issues and missing features – that all contribute to why so many folks are looking for alternatives to TryInteract.
Giveaway and poll
We’re not big fans of these two formats by TryInteract… they seem like ‘proof of concept’ models, vs. customer-ready modules.
For example, their ‘giveaway’ is basically a form with a timer – it’s a good idea, but let down by the fact that the timer is a required option. Many marketers would just want a lead form without the timer option.
But as this post is already getting a bit long so you can read more in our complete TryInteract review.
TryInteract personality test
This is probably the most important quiz format for marketers – it’s used for assessments (‘What type of X are you?’), coaching/mentoring, and product recommendations.
However, TryInteract’s personality test scoring is very primitive – there is no sliding scale to give different answers varying ‘weights’ when it comes to assigning results.
It’s very much a linear ‘all or nothing’ process – without a sliding scale, you can adjust for life’s complexities.
For example, imagine you wanted to ask “You arrive at a cocktail party – what do you do?” – and you had three personality types: Extrovert, Introvert, and Mixed.
If a quiz taker picked ‘Stand in the corner’, you might want to give 20 points for ‘introvert’, but also 5 points for ‘mixed’.
This lack of flexibility means TryInteract is really only suitable for beginner quiz marketers and basic use cases.
Data privacy (uh-oh)
We’ve mentioned this already – but TryInteract has some grave issues with their approach to data privacy.
- Unauthorized tracking scripts – TryInteract runs a range of tracking scripts that load with your quiz on your site, tracking your users’ personal data without the ability to opt-out.
- Unauthorized trackers – this is especially bad. TryInteract adds trackers to their quizzes – including their analytics init.js script as well as one from Typekit.net.
- EU/US Privacy Shield invalid – TryInteract’s self-registration with the EU/US Privacy Shield is no longer enough; the EU courts declared this invalid.
- US data storage – your quiz takers’ personal data would be stored in the US, with Amazon Web Services. We took a quiz from the UK, and we served from AWS servers in the US – that’s a no-no for the GDPR.
- No data processing agreement – TryInteract does not offer a DPA (data processing agreement), a key requirement for the GDPR.
- No opt-out for Facebook Pixel tracking – their Facebook pixel does not include ability for your quiz takers to opt-out of being tracked – making it non-compliant.
You can dive deeper with our detailed analysis of TryInteract’s data privacy and GDPR-compliance – we’re nerds about this sort of thing, and love digging into this topic.
Our top alternatives to TryInteract
We awarded Riddle our ‘Editor’s Choice’ award in 2021 – so we’re obviously big fans.
Here’s a quick snapshot about why you might want to add Riddle to your shortlist of alternatives to TryInteract.
Read our full review of Riddle!
What we liked @ Riddle
- 15 types of quizzes – this is one of Riddle’s key differentiators. They offer the most personality quizzes, polls, and other interactive formats of any tool we’ve reviewed – 4X more than TryInteract.
- No limits or caps on usage (all plans) – Riddle is also the only online quiz maker we reviewed to offer unlimited pricing – you simply pick the features you want, and get unlimited quiz submissions per month, leads per month, and full quiz creation.
- Multilingual (67 languages!) – We were seriously impressed at Riddle’s approach to languages support. You can create a quiz in 67 languages, included right to left ones like Arabic and Hebrew, plus characters such as Chinese. Riddle’s online quiz creator is also localized in French, German, and Spanish.
- Excellent data privacy / fully GDPR-compliant – Riddle stood out here as well by their detailed GDPR-compliance. Fully EU-based, they opted for their own servers in Germany vs. US cloud storage companies. Heck, they’ve even ditched tools like Google Analytics and Intercom for their own self-hosted options.
- Search/add videos, audio, GIFs, and images – the best quizzes are multimedia experiences for users. You can tell that Riddle put a lot of time and effort supporting more than just text and images in their quizzes, with tools to quickly search and add video (MP4, Vimeo, YouTube), audio (MP3), and animated GIFs (Giphy), as well as multiple image options like Google and Pexels.
However, while Riddle has a decent range of native integrations (ActiveCampaign, MailChimp, AWeber, Google Sheets) – they don’t offer as many as some of the other quiz makers we’ve reviewed.
Riddle relies on Zapier and webhooks to connect to most marketing tools out there like SalesForce.
Quiz Maker Review’s rating for Riddle:
- Range of quiz formats: ★★★★★
- Customization options: ★★★★★
- Lead generation: ★★★★☆
- Data privacy: ★★★★★
- Pricing: ★★★★☆
- Overall: ★★★★★
Launched in 2016, Outgrow has made a big impression in the online quiz maker market – with a laser focus on small to medium businesses. They live by their motto – “Customers today want to be helped. Not sold to.”
Outgrow’s has chosen to focus on the lead generation side of interactive marketing (vs. audience engagement). The result? They offer a standard quiz option – but also have a good range of formats designed to convert interested browser into customers.
We liked their clever use of calculators and chatbots so had to add them to our recommended alternatives to TryInteract.
Read our full review of Outgrow!
What we liked @ Outgrow
- Specialize in calculators – this is where Outgrow made a splash when they emerged on the market. They make it pretty easy to create embeddable calculators for things like mortgages, loans, and other use cases.
- Users add in their desired budget, interest rate, or salary – and the calculator shows what they can afford.
- Add in a lead form to collect emails from qualified customers – and that’s a proven model for verticals like real estate.
- Good range of data integrations – we were also impressed by Outgrow’s focus on making it easy to pass quiz and lead data to various marketing tools, with 15 native integrations for growing your email list.
- However, some are only included in their most expensive plans.
- Solid variety of quiz formats – Outgrow has the 2nd most quiz formats in the online quiz maker tools we’ve reviewed so far.
- The downside? Some of them aren’t very well thought out (like their Giveaway) – or lack key features such as weighted scoring for personality tests.
Things to be cautious about Outgrow:
Outgrow is a flexible quiz maker – but we have some concerns.
- Lose your quizzes when you unsubscribe – this is very strange. They essentially hold your quizzes as hostages – and you can never unsubscribe, otherwise they’ll be deleted.
- They even cheekily offer to keep them for you – but charge you 50% of your subscription as a ‘maintenance fee’.
- Our other two alternatives to TryInteract (Involve.me and Riddle) both keep your quizzes ‘forever live’ to avoid holes in your site – but understandably turn off lead forms and add their own logos.
- Poor GDPR and data privacy – this is a big one in this increasingly privacy-conscious era. Simply put? Outgrow is not a GDPR (or CCPA) compliant quiz maker.
- They add both a Facebook Pixel and a Google tracking pixel to your quizzes – with no ability to opt-out. This means they can build up custom audiences and target ads using your audience’s data.
- Outgrow keeps personal data in their servers in the USA – which violates the GDPR.
- They also can sell your quiz takers’ personal data to other companies.
Quiz Maker Review’s rating for Outgrow:
- Range of quiz formats: ★★★☆☆
- Customization options: ★★★☆☆
- Lead generation: ★★★★☆
- Data privacy: ★★☆☆☆
- Pricing: ★★☆☆☆
- Overall: ★★★☆☆
Our next alternative to Tryinteract is an Austrian company called Involve.me.
Launched in 2018, they used to be called Brandquiz with a focus on interactive content for agencies and brands. However, in 2019, the team decided to focus on their new target audience centered on the small and medium business market.
Read our full review of Involve.me!
What we liked @ Involve.me
- Block system – this was the best part of their online quiz maker. Involve.me have gone for a block-based quiz structure – which gives you more flexibility on how and where you display questions, ads, and videos.
- However, their quiz builder wasn’t very intuitive – so there is quite a learning curve involved in getting the most out of Involve.me, especially if creating a quiz type that is highly customized.
- Quiz templates – they do help you get started with a good range of templates you can copy and edit to your needs.
- Good range of content and design – Involve.me ties Outgrow for the 2nd most quiz and poll formats, including personality tests (they call them ‘assessment quizzes’) and standard right/wrong quizzes.
- We also liked their styling options – you can tell they have some good designers in their team
- Their survey quiz type needs some love though – it’s very basic and is just their quiz module minus scoring (it includes ‘correct’ options).
- Solid lead gen and integrations – Involve.me features a good range of native integrations, so you can easily send your quiz leads and their responses to your marketing software.
- A nice touch? They include all of these with all their plans. However, we did notice webhooks are only with their most expensive plan.
Things to be cautious @ Involve.me
- Not GDPR-compliant – Unfortunately, Involve.me is not a GDPR-compliant online quiz maker. They’re better than most tools we’re reviewed – they don’t add trackers or scripts like so many other tools (we’re especially looking at you TryInteract and Qzzr).
- Facebook pixel (no opt-out) – However, using their Facebook Pixel tracker, it fires on all your quizzes immediately – there’s no way for users to opt-out first. That’s big data privacy no-no and opens you up to EU fines.
- Missing DPA form – while Involve.me has a data process agreement page, you can’t personalize or even sign it, which sort of defeats the purpose.
- US-based cloud servers – finally, they use Amazon’s AWS for their servers in the cloud – and using US companies’ servers, even if located in Europe, is still not compliant.
- Basic image options – we like their flexible quiz software, but Involve.me has pretty basic media option.
- Upload images only – you can only upload only; they don’t feature services like Pixels or Unsplash to easily search and add new images.
- Videos – no start/end points – we were surprised to find while they support a range of video options like YouTube, you have to use the entire clip. There’s no option to set custom start/end points to use just a sort section – that means you have to create and upload a new clip for each question. Painful.
Quiz Maker Review’s rating for Involve.me
- Range of quiz formats: ★★★★☆
- Customization options: ★★★☆☆
- Lead generation: ★★★☆☆
- Data privacy: ★★☆☆☆
- Pricing: ★★★☆☆
- Overall: ★★★☆☆
How did we choose these alternatives to TryInteract?
We’ve been doing this for awhile now – and have created a good range of reviews of the leading online quiz maker tools out there.
Our team picked these three quiz builders because they provide the best range of content formats, customization, and language support.
- All three tools are very capable quiz marketing tools offering key features such as text-based questions or image questions.
- Each of these three quiz bulder tools have different pricing models in terms of quiz submissions per month, capped vs unlimited leads, and other factors.
- You’ll want to check them out and balance each for the estimated traffic you’ll see from your interactive content.
- However, in terms of data privacy (a key reason for people looking for alternatives to TryInteract) – Riddle is our clear favorite here (Outgrow and Involve.me both have serious issues).
Choosing the best alternatives to TryInteract
We’re often asked about Quiz-Maker-Review – “Thanks guys – but can you just tell me the best alternatives to TryInteract for my use case?”
Alas, no – every company is different, with your own priorities in terms of the quiz type you need – plus features, pricing, and data privacy.
But we are passionate about quiz software and interactive content (hence why we launched our site!) – please just ask away in the comments section below.
We’d be happy to provide more info around your use case.